Administrative Law

Administrative Law, as a practice area, runs the gamut from litigation to zoning and land use, from land development and subdivision review to dedications, highway law to law enforcement and prosecutions, public parks and historic and wetland preservation, from personnel and civil service issues to employment claims and personnel policies, from tax and complex special district and utility rules to environmental law.

In Illinois, state and local governments have administrative agencies where an administrative law judge hears disputes and makes decisions. Administrative law hearings tend to be less formal than traditional Illinois courts, however the consequences of losing are large. Matyas has previously served as a prosecutor for the City of Chicago and the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation (IDFRP).

1818 can assist you if you need to appear before the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS), the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation (IDFPR), the Secretary of State, the City of Chicago, the Department of Building and Zoning, the Illinois Department of Employment Security (IDES), and the Illinois Department of Healthcare and Family Services (IDHS), to name a few.  We will ensure you are completely prepared for all phases of the Administrative Hearing process, including your testimony if that is required.

Have you been cited by the City of Chicago with code violations? Dealing with Building Code Violations can be frustrating, time-consuming and expensive. Let 1818 deal with the City. We will work with them to get the violations dismissed and/or get you ample time to fix the violations without being fined over and over. And we will attend the administrative hearing on your behalf so you do not have to take time off work. By the way, if you have already paid a fine, it does not mean the violations will go away. You will still need to comply with the City of Chicago Building Code. The City will send out another inspector to your property and will fine you over and over again.

Land Use

Do you need help with zoning, subdivision control, landmarked buildings or any other restriction on your property, our firm can help.

Common building violations

  • Performing work without a Permit
  • Improper electrical work
  • Asbestos and Lead issues
  • Install and maintain smoke detectors
  • Improper support of a porch
  • Provide Adequate heating to tenants
  • Maintain building in safe condition
  • Register and secure vacant building within 30 days of it becoming vacant

Why get certified?

Private companies and government entities recognize the benefits of a diverse supplier base. Today, there is great demand for diversity, which creates an opportunity for small businesses if the business is certified either as a minority-owned, women-owned, veteran owned or other disadvantaged business.

What companies qualify as a Women Business Enterprise (WBE)?

WBE’s must be at least 51 percent owned by a woman. The woman must manage and control the daily business operations.

Who qualifies as a Minority Business Enterprise (MBE)?

The definitions vary by state, but generally an MBE must be at least 51 percent minority owned and managed. The term “minority” includes persons who are African Americans, Hispanic Americans, Asian Americans or Native Americans.

What about Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE)?

DBE’s are firms that qualify as a WBE or MBE. In addition, they must also be financially disadvantaged. An individual owner must have a personal net worth that does not exceed $1.32 million and the firm cannot have annual gross receipts that exceed $22.41 million.

There are many other certifications, including:

  • Small Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (SDBE)
  • Small Business Set Aside Program (SBSP)
  • Veteran Business Enterprise (VBE)
  • Airport Concession Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (ACDBE)
  • Business Enterprise Program (BEP)

Why does a company need a lawyer to get certified?

You don’t. Many companies apply on their own and get certified.

However, many companies that apply without assistance file incomplete or inaccurate applications which can lead to delays or denials of the certification.

1818 works with companies to make the process less painful and remove any confusion. In addition, 1818 can work with businesses that will need to be restructured or help create new corporations prior to the application.

1818 works with you after you get certified

Once you are certified as a WBE, MBE or any other status, 1818 can assist you in bidding on government projects. There are hundreds of RFP’s issued every day in the United States and we love helping companies grow by bidding on and winning government contracts.

Government Investigations

In the wake of recent high profile cases, business and individuals today increasingly find themselves the subject of criminal and civil government investigation and enforcement. Local, State and Federal officials have stepped up enforcement in healthcare, tax, securities, finance, antitrust and foreign investment and contracting – to name a few areas. 1818 helps clients respond with strategies aimed at minimizing—or completely avoiding—penalties, negative publicity and disruptions to business operations.

Government Procurement

1818 can assist your firm regarding all phases of the procurement process. Do you need help with the contracting process, considering a bid protest, or seeking guidance on the best ways to establish or expand business with state government agencies.

Contact 1818 about Administrative law